DENTAL ANXIETY - ARE YOU READY TO RELAX?
Are you feeling anxious about your upcoming dental appointment? Dental anxiety is a very common problem. In fact, 30 to 40 million Americans are so afraid of going to the dentist that they avoid it altogether! If you feel tense, have trouble sleeping the night before your appointment, are nervous, or feel panicked, please let our team know so we can help you overcome these feelings and have a wonderful, relaxing visit at Alabama Smile Design!
Dr. O’Donnell is happy to offer sedation, or gentle dentistry which will allow you to experience dentistry in a whole new way. While engaging in a pleasant sleep-like experience, our team will be hard at work making sure you ‘wake up’ with the beautiful new smile and results you desire.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF DENTAL ANXIETY?
- Fear of pain – This is a very common reason for avoiding the dentist but thanks to technological advancements and our experienced team, dental procedures are as close to pain-free as possible.
- Fear of injections – Many people are terrified of needles. Others fear that the anesthesia hasn’t yet taken effect or wasn’t a large enough dose to eliminate any pain before the dental procedure begins.
- Fear of anesthetic side effects – Some people do not like the numbness or “fat lip” associated with local anesthetics but remember, it wears off quickly!
- Feelings of helplessness – It’s common for people to feel these emotions considering the situation – sitting in a dental chair, having to stay still with your mouth wide open, unable to see what’s going on.
- Loss of personal space – Many people feel uncomfortable about the physical closeness of the dentist or hygienist to their face.
- Negative Past Expereinces – Anyone who has had pain or discomfort during previous dental procedures is more likely to be anxious the next time around. At Alabama Smile Design, your comfort is our #1 priority!
If any of the above sound like you, give us a call. We’d love to show you the gentle side of dentistry! Our caring team will transform your dental visits from fearful to a place you want to come back to time and time again! You’ll enjoy being here as much as we enjoy having you!